NaBloPoMo

I don't believe I have ever, not even once, acknowledged that such a thing exists. "National Blog Posting Month" was created by a famous blogger who didn't have an infant. Or I don't know, maybe she did and was just better at it than I am. The point is, you're supposed to blog every day for the entire month of November.

Every time I have ever announced I'm going to post more, I fail. So announcing I am going to take part in NaBloPoMo is like raising my own failure bar. But whatever. Let's try anyway.

* * * * * * * *

Very suddenly and without warning, Eve started having problems getting to sleep at night. In the last week or so, possibly because she's teething(?), she's gotten increasingly fussy in the early evening. Sometimes she remains so until her bedtime which has been around 9 p.m. since we brought her home from the hospital.

After asking the internet what to do via Facebook and Twitter (and after ignoring some of the more insulting "suggestions" -- I mean, we HAVE managed to figure out how to get our baby to sleep every night for four months now, we aren't completely inept), it finally occurred to me that maybe the over-tired fussiness that starts early in the evening IS Eve's bedtime. (Okay, so maybe a little inept.)

* * * * * * * * *

I bought enough Halloween candy to totally spoil up to 40 trick-or-treaters. My neighbor said we would get 30-40.

I'd say we got maybe 20.

Also, what the hell is wrong with kids these days? I say, "Go on, you can take a whole handful." In reply, more than one child said, "No, thank you."

So now I have a ton of leftover candy and I don't think you can blame weight gain on the "holidays" before Thanksgiving.

* * * * * * * * *

I'm trying desperately to create a "routine" in my weekdays, but it's not happening. EXCEPT for what I put on the television. Oh, I still pop on a DVR'd episode of SVU here and there, but mostly I have the Hallmark channel on in the background. I am pretty sure this makes me a hundred years old.

In case you're wondering, since there's no way YOU watch the Hallmark channel all day, it goes: 3 hours of Golden Girls, Touched by an Angel (that stays on mute), 2 hours of Murder, She Wrote, 2 hours of Little House on the Prairie. Again, I'm not actively watching most of these things, I just like having them there.

But then I realized something the other day that I guess I'll share with you because it's the kind of thought I shouldn't articulate in real life:

The Golden Girls and Glee have a lot in common(!), in that every other episode is about how someone is going to leave (oh no! what will we do without them? things just won't be the same without this person!) and then they don't (yay! now we're a family again!). And honestly, there's almost as much singing and dancing on Golden Girls as there is on Glee.

This is why I don't blog every day.

I also want to just say that I don't feel like I watch a lot of television (having it on in the background is not the same as actively watching), but when it rains, it pours. It's like I've won the talented reality-tv show lottery with So You Think You Can Dance, Top Chef AND Project Runway all on right now. Plus new episodes of The Office, 30 Rock and Mad Men?

* * * * * * * *

I'm trying very hard not to eat a month's worth of calories in 24 hours. I've therefore offset my candy-imbibing with a goodly amount of "roughage."

Microwave popcorn and toasted pumpkin seeds are roughage, yes?


* * * * * * *
Eve was a super cute (and super drooly) banana for Halloween. Forgive the photo quality.




Comments

  1. totally cute little banana. she always looks so shocked, like "wha? more pictures?!"

    maybe you had banana on the brain from the banana hammock dude? i'm worried that you are getting old before your time over there napa girl. murder she wrote?

    least it's better than watching CNN all day ... DEATH! PESTILENCE! GOVERNMENT! SMARMY ANCHORMEN...
    argh..change that channel..ah... blanche is being an old slut. comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cutest banana ever!

    I hardly blog at all anymore. I feel like there is no point. I have friends tell me that they read it but then my only commenter is usually my sister. For the longest time I convinced myself that I wrote for myself...turns out..not so much. Thus I don't think I'll be joining in on Nablapomo this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eve = still adorable. I love that you turn down the volume for "Touched by an Angel". Why the special distinction? As for Murder She Wrote, my husband and I were just talking about it recently and we were thinking that between Stephen King and Jessica Fletcher it's a wonder there is anyone still alive in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the cutest little banana I've ever seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a few thoughts:

    1) 9pm is way too late - 6pm or 7pm is more like it. the second she rubs her eyes in the evening - that is your signal!

    2)daily routine. that is actually important for Eve, even more than you. Getting her into a routine will make eating and sleeping (when you want her to) much easier as she gets older (and now). It seems like getting up and out in the a.m. for some exercise/a walk would be important everyday.

    3) yes, she is ctue!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Eve. Stop with all the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think parenting is just one big "a-ha" moment after another. Even now, 21 years later(my baby turns 21 on Thursday!) I still have 'em.

    Good on you for figuring out what is causing Eve's fussiness. That'll tide you over until the next time she decides to deviate from the norm and you are left scratching your head once again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the banana. What a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute little Chiquita :) I love the picture with her tongue hanging out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts