today my workplace had a goodbye party for one of my fellow associates, and there was a big ole' honkin' chocolate cake sitting out in my department ALL AFTERNOON.
and no, i did not have any but damn, am i ever grumpy.
[also? whose idea was it to sell girl scout cookies in january? because that doesn't seem very kind-spirited to me. no. in fact, it seems rather mean and ill-conceived. THIS must be why i was never interested in being a girl scout* -- because i must have known, subconsciously, that it is just WRONG and EVIL to peddle delicious, non-profit carbs to the masses when they're in their most vulnerable state (that is, when they have just begun their new year's diets).
and p.s. is it REALLY necessary to plaster POSTERS of the damn cookies in the elevators at work? really?]
NJ06 is going just fine. i have made some progress, and have already learned (or maybe re-learned as none of this is really news to me) some valuable lessons, which i will now share with you whether you want me to or not.
Things I Am Rather Shocked I Have Actually Done
- i organized my big closet. i even bought organizer thingies and used them.
i have more work to do, of course. there is at least one last box of "stuff" still to go through, and i haven't even begun on my bedroom closet, but please. let's celebrate small wins.
- i have stuck to my diet mostly.
there have been some transgressions, but they've been pretty well tempered. meaning, i have twice taken a meal "off" (where i allowed myself to eat anything i wanted), and then ended up taking the entirety of last weekend off, too.
but even with the slight transgressions and even though i haven't weighed myself, i am fitting into some pants i couldn't a month ago. hurrah.
- i fixed my roots issues.
it's not like getting my hair done is a hardship, but it's one of those things that i put off and put off because of the time and expense. so i'm glad i finally addressed this head on. (har, har.)
- i cleaned my bathroom.
there is more to do, sure, but it's in better shape than it's been in ages. possibly ever.
and so i would like to take a moment here to recognize my CuzNate and his beautiful girlfriend for giving me Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products for christmas. never in my life have i enjoyed cleaning so much as with these products -- they're amazing! it's like...imagine fancy-schmancy bath products that you use to clean your home instead of your body. mmmmm! they smell great and they feel great and they work really well! i have been forever changed.
well, or almost. so yeah, i started on my bathroom but there remains some bleaching to be done.
- i have gone to the gym every week.
- i received re-Fridget Jones and she has a couple treats in her. i did not let one dead fridge derail me! hurrah! (see how i'm being all on the down-low about this? i am afraid my trumpeting the arrival of Fridget I was maybe what did her in.)
- i have done a couple open mics and will be doing one again (with Ish!) this weekend.
these are still rather terrifying, but ever-so-slightly less so now.
Things I Have Learned
- i truly hate laundry.
even when it's just a matter of bringing the stuff across the street, i still hate it. i do not think i should share with you how little i've done this month, but it's not a lot.
- i need to stop thinking i am going to spend any time on weeknights cleaning my apartment.
it never happens. i HAVE to start planning weekend time for this.
- after much research, i have finally figured out that my cats pee on clean floors simply because they can. i'm certain of it.
- stand-up isn't just scary, it takes a lot of work. it takes time -- to write material and work it out -- and lots of practice. if i'm going to really try and get better, even really good, i have to recognize how much work it will take and commit to that work anyway.
- i will come up with lots of reasons not to go to the gym. i should not listen to them. i will never lose the weight i want if i don't commit to exercising. period.
that's about the sum of it.
i think january was pretty successful overall. i definitely got the year off to a good start.
i think my next big steps are figuring out what, exactly, is going to be involved in my "complete apartment overhaul" and giving myself deadlines.
also, i have avoided it up till now, but. i think the time has come for me to confess how much weight, exactly, i want to lose. and then pick a date (maybe sometime in march?) on which i'll weigh myself and see what progress i've made. i mean, maybe if i hold myself THAT accountable, it will help me stay on track.
*i mean, aside from the fact that i don't like camping or hiking or nature