What I Hate About Starting A New Job

  1. the learning curve.
    it's unavoidable, of course. there's stuff related to the company and my position that i just can't know walking in, and yet i HATE not feeling on top of things. (in my professional life, i mean, because we've clearly established that i am pretty much never on top of things in my personal life. Risey & Mr. QA? still waiting for their b-day presents. also, i have yet to mail a wedding present to one of my closest friends who was married last OCTOBER. sorry Risey & QA & M2!! yeah. right then.)

  2. trying to figure out who the nearly 500 people i work with are, what they do, and where they sit.
    not that i expect to know who *everyone* is, but given the collaborative nature of my role, it would be nice to know who more than, say, six of them are.

  3. getting lost in the building.
    to be honest, this building has the most gracious set-up of any large company i've seen. it's very logical and fairly easy to navigate. this is a big thing because i tend to get lost in mazes of cube farms the way i get lost in hotels. did i ever tell you i get lost in hotels? because i do. if i can turn the wrong way out the room door, i will.

  4. not knowing How Things Work.
    you know what i mean? it's like, having to learn a new culture and all new social scripts. do people swear? do people talk about their personal lives? where do most people go for lunch? do people do happy hours? how much talking is too much (critical question for me here, folks)? will people dress differently on fridays? are there cliques? how do teams work together? is there drama? and who keeps bringing in those friggin' donuts?

  5. trying to be productive.
    this sort of goes hand-in-hand with the learning curve, but it's the crux of the problem with starting a new job. i want to be productive and useful and Get Things Done and prove (to the company and myself) that i was hired for this position for a damn good reason, but then there's only so much one can do in the first few days. i can only drive projects so much as i understand them. i can only meet with people so much as they can make time for The New Girl. i know i have to be patient, but i want everything to start happening RIGHT NOW.

    hmmm. note to self: re-read this section someday when you're overloaded with work and completely stressed...


What I Love About This New Job
  • Everything else.
    Yay!

Comments

  1. ...lol. You're gonna do GREAT!

    Patience, Grasshopper, Patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what kind of "Friggin' Donuts" does the mystery person bring, Glazed, Chocolate Covered, Bavarian Creme or Jelly Filled?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a newbie can have its advantages. When you're not familiar with the particular culture of the company it does give you a certain level of objectivity which cuts through the usual office politics.

    The down side of course is that newbies do generally get blamed for stuff. When things go wrong it's easy to pass the buck on to the new person.

    My policy in a new job is usually just to do whatever I think I should be done, and then if someone complains bitterly stop doing it (or just carry on if my way is obviously better and/or quicker).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the hardest thing about a new job is finding the bathroom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog this weekend, and I have to say, it made me laugh really hard. Harder than I have laughed in a really long time. It's wonderful! I've been going back and reading previous entries to catch up, even. The "Worst Kiss Ever" post was hysterical.

    Hope you have a great day at your new job. Do you work in a field where you do any writing? You strike me as a writer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have AT LEAST learned the most important thing...um.....when is payday????

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL ... Enjoy ur new job :)

    I personally enjoy the learning curve. Its the only time when your boss expects you to screw up. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a RIOT!! Good luck with the job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love how your main concerns are: lunch, swearing, happy hour, what to wear and donuts

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog, a lot of people have you linked.

    Anyway, have fun and enjoy your new job! The best thing to do is go with the flow, and listen more than you talk to see how things run. More importantly, who is the office gossip/drama bringer. Since you're new and can't flat out, you must observe.

    What I hate about new jobs is not really knowing the everyday things. (can I go through this door? is it okay to do this? who do I get to sign this? what should I do about this, than and the other?)

    Good thing? Soon, you'll be running that place like you own it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i just found your blog - it's great.... good luck with the new job... i just started a new weight lost regime - and cleaning my house is always on my list -and never crossed off!!!

    i'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate the learning curve. I especially hate the learning curve when your job considering handing you a manual training . But I'm not bitter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks, everyone, for your words of encouragement (and empathy).

    the truth is, i'm absolutely amazed with this organization. everyone i've met has been smart, efficient, knowledgeable and genuinely engaged with what they're doing. i'm wholly impressed. and given my role, i don't feel like a cog at all!

    *hopes this state of euphoria lasts*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Given your role... what is your role??

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I were in your shoes! I hate that I DON'T have a learning curve. While I'm like you and am all about being on top of my game professionally, I fully understand the learning curve. This new job - the curve lasted about a week and consisted of reading SOPs and learning where they keep things. Come on people, CHALLENGE ME! I'll bust my ass if you just give me a chance to do so!

    500 people? Try 5, myself included. My title looks like I took a step backwards professionally. Never having been one for titles, I didn't even notice when they approached me about the job, but this is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts