sort of it looked like this:
as i said, in the end i found one that suited me pretty well. it was a little long for my body (i'm only 5'4" and when i wear long gowns i feel like i'm playing dress-up), but it had many key ingredients that made up for its length:
- it had sleeves. this allows for me to not have to feel self-conscious about my arms. also the sleeves had a flowy bell shape at the end, which i think is flattering on everyone.
- the neckline was low, but still made for someone with breasts. (this is remarkable since usually when there are low necklines, the dress is tight on top, and forces the boobages to, essentially, pop out of the neckline all over the place. and not in a sexy way.)
- the whole thing was black (not shown here) and in a jersey material, which is soft and not clingy.
- it was slightly loose, so i didn't feel all stuffed into the thing.
- the flouncy frilly parts weren't overdone, they just helped mask some of the less flattering parts of the body.
all in all, perfectly acceptable.
now, if i could just convince one of my friends to get married in another 6 months or so, i'd have great incentive* to buy a dress in, say, a size 10.
*because yes. all my friends should be getting married just so i can have events to wear dresses to. duh.