A List Of Random. You Are So Very Welcome.
- I feel like a complete idiot most of the time, but maybe never more so than when I'm typing quickly and misspell my own name and don't realize it until AFTER I hit "send." In an email to a client.
- You know what pisses me off a lot? Like, a LOT a lot? People who expect praise and accolades and promotions and raises simply for doing their actual job. Promotions and raises come from growth, from going above and beyond what's expected of you, from taking initiative. Promotions and raises are NOT the result of you showing basic competency at the job we hired you for.
I am not referring to anyone in particular, although someday maybe I will tell you about the guy at my first job who made me fume on a regular basis for just this sort of thing. But wouldn't that be petty of me?
- Have you ever seen a dog eat a piece of cheese or meat that had a pill in it? And then like, gnaw and slurp at it but ultimately leave just the pill on the floor, covered in gross? That's sort of how I feel when eating artichokes.
If a food is like, 90% inedible I kind of think humans maybe shouldn't bother with the other 10%.
Pre-made artichoke dip is an exception.
- This morning I awoke to a text from my babysitter that asked if she could reschedule for tomorrow. A perfectly reasonable request. That made me cry.
It's just four hours, but it means my plans for getting shit done today have been completely torpedoed. I won't be able to be productive. (I should not be blogging right now, I should be working; except I am full of writey/bloggy thoughts and need to get them out before Eve wakes from her brief, second-of-only-two naps.) I just suddenly felt helpless.
And then I cried harder because I thought I was being so selfish, wanting four hours to myself. And WHAT KIND OF MOTHER AM I? Who, at certain points in the day and week, prefers working to watching her own child?
- I just finished Week 6, Day 2 of C25K this morning and it was the hardest yet. Not because the run itself was particularly hard, I just was having an off day. (Possibly because of the babysitter text above?)
So I guess I just wanted to say that the C25K isn't all sunshine and rainbows for me, either. Usually it takes a couple minutes for me to warm up and feel okay, and that just never happened today. It sucked the whole time.
- Also, I need new music. I like stupid, bad, cheesy, pop/dance/remix stuff that has a great beat to run to. Favorites right now (don't judge) (well, okay, judge, but try running to these before you do):
- Now I'm A Believer (the Smashmouth version). AWESOME to run to.
- Hey Ya!
- Because of You (remix) (SHUT UP)
- Talk Dirty to Me
- Gimme Hope, JoAnna (Eddie Grant)
- Are you going to BlogHer? Because I am. And you know what? I am SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT. In all the years I ran the conference, I never had time to do the stuff everyone else does. I shopped for clothes at the last minute and always felt like a stuffed sausage, draped in black, clomping around in shoes that gave me blisters EVEN THOUGH I opted for comfort over any discernible style.
I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to having actual conversations with people that don't involve how much they dislike the lunch or how I could improve things next year.
I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to not having sweat pouring down my head and the crazylady manic look in my eyes all day, every day, for a week.
I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to NOT being the person that everyone comes to with questions that no human could possibly answer.
I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to attending parties! To hanging out! To having a glass of wine mid-day because I just happen to feel like it.
I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to getting to go out and see the city that the conference is in! I hear there are some things to do in New York.
- And speaking of hanging out at BlogHer, I'm suggesting we make a little pre-drinking happy hour on Friday. Please meet me at 4 p.m. at the Hilton Lounge. Just because! Fun!
- And not to make you jealous, although probably you will be, but guess who I'm meeting in real, live person while I'm in New York? Dan and Brooke. And the angels wept.
- LASTLY! Do you remember what you were listening to when you lost your virginity? A friend of mine just launched this website called Virgin Ears. You should go confess there. It's good, hilarious stuff.