Before The Contractions Kick In...

As I type this, I have just taken my second dose of cervix-ripening Cytotec and the nurse is preparing my IV. It's 8:25 p.m. Ish and I are in our very comfy hospital room. I'm hooked up to a fetal monitor and something else that's supposed to gauge my contractions, were I having any.

We called the hospital this morning to find out what time we'd need to come in for our final check-up/potential check-in. They said they were crazy busy and to please call back at noon.

Hey -- when you're ready to go at 37 weeks and then almost 2 weeks overdue, what's another 4 hours, really?

We were told to come in by about 2:30 this afternoon. We figured this had to be it, and packed our stuff up with more care than ever before...remembering all the things we forgot and/or decided not to bring on our four prior trips, when we weren't sure we'd be staying. I even had a bit of an emotional good-bye to the kitties and to Sherlock in particular, since he was, really, my first baby.

-- Hold for setting up the IV --

That took longer than expected. It's 9:30 now.

Anyway.

They did the non-stress test and then decided to give me a cervix-ripening drug and monitor me for a few hours to see what would happen.

Can you guess what happened?

That's right. Not a damned thing.

So we met with the doctor at 6 p.m. She said that we could go home if we wanted to, let the Cytotec "simmer" in my system, let me go a couple more days and see if this baby would come of her (mostly) own volition. Or, we could stick with the Cytotec tonight and keep going and get the labor going.

We chose the latter. Neither we nor the doctor think that much would happen over the next two days without help.

So here we are. FINALLY.

I don't think I technically qualify as being "in labor" at this point, but I'm not sure. I'm having tiny contractions -- which, believe me, are plenty uncomfortable -- but they're going to try to have me sleep tonight (I get a sleeping pill, even!) to get as much rest as possible.

I guess we're all hoping I'm in active labor by morning. Which would rock. Although at the same time, I know this can be a one-to-THREE-day process, so it's anyone's guess.

OH. And speaking of guesses...

No one has guessed the name yet! Feel free to re-enter (post below)!

Lastly. I don't even know how to begin to express how amazing and special it has been to share this experience with you. I think it would have killed me to have gone through this waiting game without having a way to express my fears and frustrations. Your support, advice, warmth, care, and thoughtfulness has helped calm me more than I could have ever guessed.

I am so lucky.

Comments

  1. I'm sticking with my original time (from the previous post).

    Since you insist it isn't Maura or Jane or Eleanor, I will go with Eileen/Aileen. It means shining or brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has Annalisa been guessed yet? What about Alice? I'm stuck on the A thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was gonna guess Annalise. :)

    Thanks for sharing your incredible pregnancy journey with all of us. I'm now at 32.5wks, and the prospect of being 2wks overdue terrifies me. You are a shining example of how to take it all in stride (and with a wonderful sense of humor). As I go to sleep tonight, I'll be thinking of you, Pete, and your little peanut & hoping for some action (for you) tomorrow.

    -Jenny in SJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay guess number two: Maisy

    ReplyDelete
  5. New name guess: Rebecca/Becca

    Good luck. Hope she comes soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you that the birthing process has finally started.

    I'm stuck on "A" names too, so I go with Abagail.

    I'll be thinking of you today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, sharing this experience with YOU is awesome! What would my day be like if I didn't get to read gems like "Oops. I think my water just broke" first thing at the office. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwww.. the anticipation must be killing you both!

    my guessed time has long past, but i'm going to go ahead and guess the name I submitted in that post awhile back - ivey morgainne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guessed Zelda but now am changing it to Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  10. how about maggie?

    so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You ARE truly blessed....

    This is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops - my first guess for today is a duplicate.

    So how about.....

    Zoe
    Amber
    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  13. best of luck...I keep checking Ish's twitter for updates..I do not know you guys in real life and only casually read this blog, but damn I cannot wait for this baby news.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its probably too late but im going to go with Evelyn. Hope your doing alright.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like Anonymous before me, I don't know you and Ish in real life, but I enjoy your blog. I too keep checking Ish's twitter for news, so I hope he's on the ball with tweets when the ball really gets rolling. I hope your little Peanut makes her arrival soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THE GOOD LIFE

    http://chataboutit.com/about/the-good-life-with-jesse-dylan/

    Enthrall your mind, body and spirit with the ultimate fitness experience. Jesse Dylan has 30 years of broadcast experience and polished intellect on health and wellness. His expertise, as long as interviews with best selling authors and health experts, make for a captivating radio show. Tune in to Chat About It Radio TONIGHT from 10-11 PM and enlighten your personal awareness. Take a step forward with your health with Jesse Dylan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Luck to you! (How ungodly frustrating it must be - hang in there!) As for the name... hmmmm... How about Jadrianne? Or Elliette? Guess I'll just have to wait and see... and who knows how long THAT will be?!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you all! And can't wait to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Guess Number 2: Penelope called Penny

    ReplyDelete
  20. Clarissa?

    'nilla

    ReplyDelete
  21. More guesses from AC Fabulous -

    ~Zoe
    ~Auroroa
    ~Mabel (Mothers, Always Bring Extra Love, remember? From Mad About You?)
    ~Sunshine
    ~Rhodes
    ~Neveah

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praying for you! This kiddo is certainly taking her time.. Come on Girlie Q. Get out here!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just read on your twitter about the C section coming up - I thought that was where this was headed. Don't worry - no matter how she comes out you'll be sore (meant that to be reassuring comment, really!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OVERJOYED!! Welcome, little Eve. Congratulations to proud mom and proud dad. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope she finally came out and that you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  26. She may already be born... I am thinking of you guys!!!

    My final guess: Genevieve

    I am sure whatever you chose will be lovely :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just heard the happy news on Twitter! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay! It's a girl! I have been checking Twitter since Saturday and I am not a twitterer(is that a word?). I am looking forward to seeing a pic of the cutie. Congrats to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. De-lurking to say great job! I have been following you for a really long time and seeing that I don't know you, have been strangely excited for both you and Ish. Welcome to Eve, I can't wait until she can blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! So pleased!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! Baby girls rock!!! And a beautiful name as well:)!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hooray! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMFG!! Congratulations, dear family.
    All my best to you sweeties. Toasting you with a big ole glass of L'il Boomy Chardonnay right this minute.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations! She's beautiful. We are the lucky ones. Not only do you make us laugh on a regular basis, but you shared this wonderful little girl's pre-life life with us and now she's here and so darn beautiful!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm way behind on reading the blog, so I missed the post about the names you're considering.. but I have one name stuck in my head.

    I can definitely see you having a baby girl named Lucy. Though, you should name her something more austere in case she defies the odds of her genes from you and Ish and becomes an Accountant or something.

    Lucille "Lucy"

    that's my guess.. and if it isn't the name, well.. you've got 1-3 days to change your mind. ;) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  36. She is so beautiful, and I know you are glad that labor part is over. Congratulations to you and Ish ya'll done good.

    ReplyDelete
  37. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

    She is just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congratulations! Eve is a beautiful name for a beautiful baby. Absolutely gorgeous. So happy you're all doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Congratulations on the arrival of baby Eve!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Congratulations - Eve is beautiful! I don't have a twitter account but was able to still see the picture you posted of her. Amazing!!

    LTR - JL :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh happy day! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations - the adventure begins!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congratulations on Eve! I agree with Amy about the adventure thing... let me know if you need one of our handbooks to help you out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Welcome, Eve! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Eve is one of my favorite names ever. Beautiful, beautiful.

    Congratulations, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  46. And, I kind of hope it's not "Annalis" because that is my daughter's middle name. Or, maybe then I'd feel all hip and stuff.
    Good luck-I had a c-section too-no fun-but as the pp said, same result.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts