Wine Appreciation

Things are going very well with Ish right now, which I think no one really wants to hear. Drama, messiness -- yes. A nice couple being happy with each other? YEEEEACHHHH.

But don't go thinking there are no Issues or that The Crazy has gone and left me, because that would be utter foolishness. I long ago embraced my The Crazy, and it will stay with me forever and ever, rearing itself in different forms as I go through various life and relationship stages.

Yeah, I'll get to that.

In the meantime, we have moments like the one last night.

We were both tired, and working late. We were both sitting at our table with our laptops, hardly speaking to one another. We both had glasses of a fun-but-ultimately-unremarkable pinot noir.

While sitting there, I realized I had not effectively swished my mouth out with water following my "dinner."

I should not tell you this because it's really quite awful, but the truth of the matter is, when left to my own devices I do not really care about eating much or well. Because Ish was coming home so late, we agreed not to eat together but instead to "fend for ourselves." I don't tend to fare well in these cases.

Last night, I couldn't muster the inclination to go ACROSS THE STREET to the grocery store, so I just poked around the apartment until I found something that resembled food. I was thrilled to discover we had a bag of remnant noodles, and decided that would be just fine. I prepared them with a little butter and salt and nothing else. (Well, nothing else except carb shame.) And then when I realized that a cup of noodles might not be quite filling enough as my entire dinnertime meal, I ate a couple handfuls of organic cheddar cheese popcorn. (The "organic" making it healthy.) A complete and well rounded meal, no?

When Ish returned home, I learned that he had stopped across the street, and had grabbed himself a fancily prepared, ready-to-heat package of a lemon-butter salmon with rice pilaf.

One of us is obviously the grown-up. But the other one of us got to suck powdered cheddar cheese off her fingers for the rest of the night. (Score!)


And because there are these two big holes in my mouth where my wisdom teeth used to be, I have to be diligent about swishing and flushing those holes after I eat. (Kinda gross, but whatever.)

There we were, sitting all grown-up and boring at the table, working on our computers and sipping wine. And when I realized I hadn't swished, I considered getting up, going to the sink, pouring some water and salt into a glass, and swooshing it around in my mouth. Even though there wasn't anything actually in my mouth, and it's just something I'm supposed to do.

But then that seemed dumb. I mean, if there's not really anything in there, why should I bother getting up and going through all the motions of actually pouring water and salt into a cup? That's kind of a lot of work. What does it really matter if you swish with water instead of, say, pinot noir?

Well, and that's exactly what I did. I started swishing the wine around in my mouth.

Naturally, this caused Ish to look at me.

For a moment, you could tell, he saw his girlfriend swishing a wine he'd carefully selected around in her mouth and he drew the logical conclusion: that I was taking the time to really taste the wine and evaluate it. He smiled at the gesture, pleased that I was even paying attention.

But as he kept looking at me, and I, looking at him, continued to swish fairly vigorously. And I think it must have been somewhere around the time I swished the wine from one side of my mouth to the other, alternately bulging my left and right cheeks out that he realized I was not, actually, tasting the wine at all, but simply using it to make sure my empty gum socket wasn't hiding a cheddar cheese popcorn kernel.

Instead of immediately banging his head on the table, however -- which would have been an entirely appropriate response, mind you -- he simply smiled wider. His eyes were happy. He stared at me for a few lingering seconds, while I finished what I was doing (albeit a little more sheepishly now that I'd been caught).

He just said, "You're delightful." And went back to work.

Comments

  1. ohhhhhh cuuuuuuuuuute I agree with bethany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So funny, and totally cute.

    [I have far too many of those kind of moments myself and luckily, my boyfriend usually just shakes his head, smiles, and says, "I love you." ]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!

    Happy stories make good blog fodder, too.

    Also, alcohol is probably good for your gum holes, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those moments (both having a man who reacts like that when my little idiosyncrasies pop up, and reading about them)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's the kind of love I'm talking about.

    (I so would have done the same thing- from dinner to wine swishing.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is entirely adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like something my husband would do! I am always doing something to embarrass myself, and it never fails that it is in front of him. He usually just shakes his head and smiles. Then gives me a hug and tells me he loves me.

    Ish is definitely a keeper, Kristy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should wrap that awesomeness up and never let him out of the house!

    Well, I guess that isn't nearly as romantic as him staying on his own accord but whatever.

    Glad you have Ish, what a guy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. and you are, too--delightful, I mean. Thanks so much for warming my heart!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of the best stories ever. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. so cute :) I heart both of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't believe I'm the first person who's thinking (or at least *asking*) ...

    So, did you spit or did you swallow?

    ReplyDelete
  13. wine is WAY more medicial than water. Good thing you have Ish there to look after you so thoughtfully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I call meals like yours "No Carb Left Behind!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mush-mush-mush!

    But unlike all the other tellers-of-mushy-stories lately, I don't hate you for it. You make the quirky singles hopeful :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now *that* is beautiful!

    PS. I like reading posts about happy couples. Keep 'em coming,

    ReplyDelete
  17. He is definitely a keeper :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awwwwwwwwwwwwww :)

    You ARE delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is has to be one of my favorite stories of yours. I've heard about and experienced enough relationship drama that I prefer the happy stories. Yay for you and Ish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This made my face area leak a bit; I've just lost the person who thought I was delightful. It's nice to think of, isn't it? That you *delight* someone?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are the moments I love. Simple yet sweet and honest.
    Although, I must be one of the few people who actually enjoy stories of a happy couple instead of misery and drama. I say "Keep the sweet stories coming!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, if you can't swish with wine, what on earth should you swish with!! I vote for whisky!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dare I say it...that is so cute! I think I would propose to him myself....

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was shaking with laughter. Best post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh god....When I read your posts...I don't feel alone in the world ! And my boyfriend realizes there is someone out there that "shares his pain...":) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello - got a recommendation from 20 something bloggers to come and have a look- this is a lovely post, I loved it - I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love these kinds of moments. glad you do too.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. You're right - yeaacchhh! (kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi. I've commented here before - long time ago.

    LOVE this post.
    Happiness in the little things - that's what it's all about, right?

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love that cheddar cheese popcorn. However, I'm suddenly thrilled that, at 31, I still have all my wisdom teeth (enormous mouth)...cause I have a hard time getting that popcorn out of my teeth... nevermind enormous holes in the back of my mouth! Do you have a little mini shovel to dig in back there?

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are so hot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts