Happy Birthday, Na-Na

I haven't ever mentioned it here, not really. But obviously if I'm working full-time -- even from my house -- I'm not watching my children full-time. We have a childcare provider here Mon-Friday.

Well, actually, we have three. Because we found a wonderful, amazing nanny who isn't interested in being with one family all week. (Who can blame her?) So she comes 2.5 days/week. Her name is Juanita and she is kind of the love of my life. (Through various twists and turns and for what it's worth, we also have Juanita's mom here 2 days a week, who is basically Mom Of Amazing, and yet a third nanny for one-half of one day each week who is awesome. Because this is what happens if you don't do the daycare thing. Every day we're shuff-a-lin'.)

What happens when Mama is in charge of her child:
Eve finds Mama's "wips." Click for larger.
 


But this is about Juanita.

Juanita has been watching Eve since Eve was 8 months old. Eve loves Juanita with all her heart, probably more than she loves me because Juanita actually knows what she is doing with children, whereas I do not, as evidenced by the story I am trying to tell.*

Plus, Juanita is younger, prettier, wears better makeup AND is more tattooed, bejeweled, and manicured than I am. These are the sorts of things that two-year-olds notice and find interesting. Two-year-olds are not so interested in Mama's "yoga pants" and "not makeup." (Although points to me for having a gall-bladder scar, which Eve adores. "MORE BOO BOO!")

Towns thinks "Na-Na ROCKS!"

Juanita -- aka "Na-Na" -- just had a birthday. For two days prior to (what I wanted to be) the momentous occasion, I worked on Eve.

We got Na-Na a present, we made Na-Na a card.

We talked about "Happy Birthday" a LOT, facilitated by the Birthday episode of Yo Gabba Gabba, which (as it happens) Eve also loves more than me.*

So on the actual morning of Juanita's birthday, with only 20 minutes left before her arrival, we practiced. Like a million times.

Me: What are we going to say when we see Na-Na?

Eve: HAH BIR-DAY, NA-NA!!!

Me, as though my child has recited the Gettysburg Address: THAT'S RIGHT! VERY GOOD! YOU'RE SO SMART! HIGH FIVE!

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

When Juanita arrived, rather than squeal with delight and rush to give her a hug, which Eve does every other morning upon Na-Na's arrival, Eve ran to the sofa and climbed on it. And sat there, as though What? No big deal? I'm sitting on the sofa. 

Me: Eve? Who is it? Is Na-Na here?

Nothing.

I asked Eve if we had a present for Na-Na. I asked her if we had a card for Na-Na. I asked her if we had a special thing we were going to say to Na-Na.

Nothing.

Me: What do we say to Na-Na!? What do we say? We say Haaaa....? HAAA....? 

Nothing.

Eve responded by behaving as though I were completely crazy and she had never seen or heard of any of the things I was alluding to, and as though Juanita was a complete stranger not worthy of eye contact.

Um.

It took several minutes of coaxing, then ignoring, then coaxing again before Juanita and I persuaded Eve to get off the sofa and participate in their normal "good morning" routine of hellos and hugs and kisses.

And so, after Eve was back to her everyday self, I decided to try again.

Me: Eve? Remember? We talked about this? We have something to say to Na-Na today! What do we say? WHAT DO WE SAY TO NA-NA!?!?!

This time Eve acknowledged me. She looked at me as though she were wracking her brain to try to figure out what in God's name I wanted from her. And then it happened.

In a split second her eyes widened and she smiled her adorable toothy grin. She knew she had figured it out. She'd finally putting together what she was supposed to say to get Mama to shut up.

Eve turned to Na-Na.

And in a loud, clear voice, she exclaimed: GOOOOOOO NINERS!!!!











*In no way do I ACTUALLY think my daughter loves her nanny or the television more than her Mama. Though maybe fish sticks. Hmm. No, really, I kid. If I were truly concerned about those things, I wouldn't write them so nonchalantly. I didn't even want to make this footnote, but I am trying to head off anonymous lectures at the pass. You know. 

Comments

  1. I laughed out loud at this. Twice.

    This, of course, woke my son who is now wondering why the hell Mama is up, disturbing him, and laughing at her computer. I'm betting he's loving Na Na more than me right now, too. BTW - my daughter likes YGG! better than me, too. YGG! is a never-ending dance party with strange aliens, robots, and a flamboyant DJ... we simply cannot compete with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! My son has always been much the same way. I would prep him for particular situations and then at that particular situation he would say something peculiar rather than what we had been rehearsing. Do they do it on purpose? The child's mind amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. priceless!
    also? hysterical.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I *snorted!* It sounds to me like your team of experts AND YOU are raising a feisty, young sports zealot, who is smart enough to question authority. Good work, ladies! Eve is precious, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's just so cute. You make me feel like MAYBE having kids isn't the biggest nightmare on earth!
    Love the expression on Eve's face in that lovely lipstick picture...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a well raised child! Thanks for the giggle at work - much needed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it possible her daddy had something to do with this? I think he set that up...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a firm believer they actually sometimes try to make you look like an ass. I don't know how I actually got to be the buffoon to a 4 year old's straight man but it has happened more than I like to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe Na-Na loves the Niners? I bet Eve knows she does... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow awesome posting . heart touching pics and great your idea so thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts